Here’s an Easy Pasta Salad Recipe. This one with grilled chicken!
This is one of the College Boy’s favorite foods. He made a surprise trip home this weekend so we made a batch of Pasta Salad today and sent him back with a big container of it.
This recipe makes several servings of pasta salad. Since it keeps for a few days in the refrigerator, we make it with an entire box of pasta. It ALWAYS gets eaten up. And, the dressing acts as a marinade, so this recipe tastes better the day after you make it.
Let’s get to it!
Pasta Salad with Grilled Chicken
- 1 16 ounce box rotini pasta (regular OR tri-color)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 6 pre-grilled boneless-skinless chicken breasts
- 1 6 ounce can of medium-size pitted black olives
- 1 green pepper
- 1 cup of your favorite Italian salad dressing
[You can also add diced onion and a cup of cherry tomatoes (sliced in half) to make this the more traditional way. Nate prefers it without those two ingredients, so that’s how we made it today.]
- Cook the entire box of rotini in a large stock pot of salted water. Follow the directions on the box for proper cooking time. I add some olive oil to the water to help keep the pasta from sticking together while cooking.
- While the pasta is cooking: dice the green pepper, slice the olives in half, dice the pre-grilled chicken. Set aside.
- Check the pasta so it’s at the al dente stage. Then drain it in a colander and rinse with cold water. This will stop the cooking process and also make the pasta ready for the Italian dressing. If you don’t rinse it, you’ll have a mess — sticky, gummy pasta. That’s NOT what you want!
- Once the pasta is completely rinsed and has cooled, pour it into a VERY large bowl. We use a gigantic stainless steel mixing bowl.
- Add the green pepper, olives, and diced chicken to the pasta.
- Pour the Italian dressing over the ingredients and mix well, taking care not to damage the pasta.
Store the salad in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for several days.
Your Turn: What’s on your meal plan for this week? Leave a comment below.