In preparation of Memorial Day (May 27), we’re gearing up for some quick and easy craft projects.
My son Matt is going to be helping out with craft projects this summer. Once school is out, he’s going to be my official “assistant”. He’ll be helping with online research, gathering craft supplies, taking photos, etc. It’s going to be a fun summer!
To kick off the summer season, we’re going to feature three projects:
- Pretend binoculars (for the little ones)
- Mini-windsocks (for kids of all ages)
- Patriotic fabric coasters (for the older kids and grown-ups)
We wanted to give you a heads up so you can gather your supplies. 🙂
Interested in making a pair of kiddie binoculars? Then start saving up your empty cardboard bathroom-tissue tubes. You’ll need two to make a pair of binocs; and one for each mini-windsock.
- Two toilet-tissue tubes
- About 4-5 Popsicle sticks (or craft sticks — the small ones)
- All-purpose glue
- Craft paint in your favorite color
- Paper punch
- String, ribbon or yarn (about 24″ long)
Fly your American Spirit with these sweet little windsocks.
- One toilet-tissue tube
- Assorted patriotic themed scrapbook papers (scraps of paper will work fine for this project)
- Craft paint (optional)
- Scrapbook stickers (stars would be great for this project!)
- All purpose craft glue
- Paper punch
- String, ribbon, or yarn (one piece that measures about 20″ long)
Show off your patriotism (and your sewing skills) with a set of coasters (like these):
If you’re up for an easy sewing project, then sort through your fabric stash (or make a quick trip to your favorite fabric store or Walmart) and pick up the following:
- 1/4 yard of your choice of some awesome red-white-and-blue print fabric (cotton please)
- 1/4 yard of a coordinating cotton fabric (for the backside of the coaster) [Hint: red, white or blue!]
- 1/4 yard of basic, white cotton flannel
- Sewing machine
- Iron + ironing board
- Cutting board, rotary cutter (or scissors)
- Chopstick or other similar blunt-end tool
Pick a project (or two or three) and gather up your supplies.
Complete instructions will be posted next week.
Now…your only other assignment: Have a fantastic weekend!